Pages

Thursday, February 25

.Patching holes in the bathroom walls (Part Three: Zen and the Art of Spackle)

So what did I learn by patching the bathroom walls? I learned that I need more practice. But like any other home repair project, it's not rocket science, and if I apply myself, I can do a pretty decent job.

om mani padme hum, I will get this project done...
om mani padme hum, I will get this project done...*

And this old house has plenty of practice areas...

Since it will probably be a while before I pick up the spackle again, I wanted to make sure to write down the lessons I carried away from the completion of this little project. That way, I won't necessarily have to make all the same mistakes twice.

Like the paint jobs on very expensive automobiles, many thinner coats of paint make a smoother surface. They effectively hide the patch by covering over the edges where the patch meets the surrounding wall (this area can be hard to get very smooth). The paint can even fill in very small holes without the need for spackle.

The hole doesn't have to be perfectly patched on the first try. Many coats of spackle make it easier to achieve a smooth surface, especially when you have to fill large or deep holes. Spackle, sand, repeat (or did I already say that?).

When smoothing the spackle, light swift strokes with the scraper are best. Also keep the scraper clean by stopping regularly to remove the accumulated plaster.

Other than that, it's not to difficult to get the hang of. And now that the bathroom is done, I really need to go finish that hallway.

* image courtesy of the New York State Archives.

No comments:

Post a Comment